Diversity Goals and Objectives
2015 Strategic Plan Goal - Diversity
(revised October 5, 2020)
Create and promote an inclusive environment through outreach, education, and engagement that removes barriers and supports diversity; where all are welcomed, respected, treated equitably and valued within the community.
- Have elected officials, with support from staff, make connections in the community that will help them recruit volunteers representing diverse perspectives for City boards and commissions (resource: National League of Cities' Civic Engagement and Recent Immigrant Communities).
- Meet with partners in Warrenville who can assist with community outreach to minority, immigrant, and other underserved communities; identify and remove participation barriers.
- Find more ways to communicate in Spanish (newsletter, social media, web, bilingual employees).
- Review Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning’s (CMAP) Immigration Integration Toolkit and identify programs and initiatives (i.e. Cultural Awareness Commission) that could be implemented in Warrenville and then present to City Council for consideration.
- Recruit for open positions in venues that target diverse applicants; work with the BOFPC to target recruitment efforts as well.
- Contact overlapping taxing bodies, nearby communities, and agencies to determine if partnerships can be developed to better serve all members of the Warrenville community.
- Support and encourage culturally diverse community events and celebrations by partnering with other organizations. Work with event organizers to ensure that existing community events are open and inviting to all people in the community.
Warrenville Diversity Statement
(adopted October 4, 2021)
The people who live, work, visit, and conduct business in Warrenville deserve a free, open, and collaborative community that commits itself to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We strive to make the values of collaboration, inclusivity, integrity, service, and transparency, reflected in our everyday practices and priorities. These values make us a desirable and strong community for all people. Creating a mutually respectful, multicultural, and equitable environment does not happen on its own; it must be intentional and ongoing.
We believe in inclusivity and strive for authentic representation, empowered participation, full access, and a true sense of belonging for everyone. Warrenville is a dynamic community that welcomes, respects, and encourages the contributions of all people, in all our rich variety by race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital and/or familial status, language, mental and/or physical impairment and/or disability, military status, economic class, immigration status, foster status, body size, criminal history, or any of the other characteristics that are often used to divide people.
We believe in equity. By embracing equity, we work to break down systems of oppression and all forms of bias and hate, to achieve a society where barriers no longer determine one’s outcomes and everyone has what they need to thrive. This is both a process and a goal. Our goal is for people of widely differing backgrounds to do more than live next to one another. We strive to create an inclusive and vibrant community, providing the highest quality of service, and protecting the health, dignity, safety, and well-being of all. Through intentional interaction and fair treatment, we can respect our differences while fostering unity and developing a shared vision for the future.