When water freezes in pipes, it expands, which can cause a water burst. Just a small crack can result in significant water damage. This winter, consider these tips to help prevent pipes from freezing.
- Remove garden hose from outside spigot
- Allow warm air to circulate around the water meter
- Tightly seal any vents or access areas in crawl space
- If water pipes are on an exterior wall, leave cabinet doors open for better exposure to heat
- Let water run at a trickle on extremely cold nights (about the diameter of a pencil)
- Contact the Water Division to shut off water at vacant properties
- Low water pressure could be an indicator that pipes are starting to freeze