The winter storm forecast includes snow, wind, and life-threatening cold. Here's what we know so far:
An arctic cold front sweeps across our area Thursday from late morning to early afternoon accompanied by a band of snow and a dramatic temperature drop.
- The combination of falling snow, gusty winds, and plummeting temperatures will make travel conditions treacherous from Thursday afternoon onward.
- There may be a flash freeze, creating ice-covered roads topped by snow.
- The forecast projects 2" to 5" of snow.
- There may be periods of whiteout (blizzard) conditions later Thursday through Friday night, especially in open areas.
- Wind chills will drop to -30F to -40F by Friday morning. The coldest temperatures are expected Thursday night through Friday afternoon.
- The cold stretch is expected to last through the weekend before a warming trend emerges next week.
Warrenville Warming Center Information: The Warrenville Park District Recreation Center (3S260 Warren Avenue) is a designated Warming Center with operating hours listed below.*
Monday through Thursday: 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The park district will close at 12:00 p.m. Saturday, December 24 and remain closed Sunday, December 25 for Christmas. Anyone who needs overnight accommodations should call the Police Department non-emergency telephone number, (630) 393-2131, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., or dial 9-1-1 after regular business hours, and ask to speak with an on-duty Sergeant or Corporal.
Get more information on warming centers, parking bans, and other winter weather issues at: warrenville.il.us/300/Alerts-Emergency-Weather
The City also has procedures for snow removal, prioritizing primary streets. The City prohibits parking on the street for a period of twenty four (24) hours after the accumulation of two inches (2") or more of snow, or until the street or roadway has been cleared of snow. Learn more at: warrenville.il.us/DocumentCenter/View/9620/Snow-and-Ice-Removal-Procedures-PDF