The winter storm forecast this week includes snow, wind, and life-threatening cold. Here's what we know so far:
The winter storm forecast this week includes snow, wind and life threatening cold. Here’s what we know so far:
• Snow will start in the western part of the state Thursday morning and move into our area after 12:00 p.m., Thursday afternoon.
• Snow is predicted to continue through Thursday afternoon into Thursday night, possibly Friday morning.
• Strong winds will pick up Thursday afternoon, with gusts of 35–45 mph that will continue into Thursday night.
• The strongest winds will start late Thursday night, around 11:00 p.m. or midnight and continue through Friday evening. Gusts will be between 50–55 mph.
• The coldest wind chills will most likely be Friday at -25 to -35. It only takes 10 to 25 minutes of exposure to get frostbite at these negative temperatures.
• The cold will continue into Sunday.
• Depending on location, there could be accumulation of 2 to 8 inches of snow.
Warrenville Warming Center Information: The Warrenville Park District Recreation Center (3S260 Warren Avenue) is a designated Warming Center with operating hours listed below.*
Monday through Thursday: 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sunday: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The park district will close at 12:00 p.m. Saturday, December 24 and remain closed Sunday, December 25 for Christmas. Anyone who needs overnight accommodations should call the Police Department non-emergency telephone number, (630) 393-2131, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., or dial 9-1-1 after regular business hours, and ask to speak with an on-duty Sergeant or Corporal.
Get more information on warming centers, parking bans, and other winter weather issues at: warrenville.il.us/300/Alerts-Emergency-Weather